Speeches are one of the most popular forms of spoken discourse or formal address to an audience. Besides delivering speeches, writing them is an art in itself. Generally, students are taught to write speeches along with creative content writing. Among the most popular genres of speech are motivational speeches. These are written from the perspective of inspiring the listeners to act upon the message as well as improve their lives. Although this speech genre is relatively popular than others, most students struggle with finding the right motivational speech topics. Like creative writing topics, the right speech topic also serves as the backbone of the speech. Therefore, in this article, we have shared the right manner of structuring a speech along with a list of motivational speech topics.
What are Motivational Speeches?
A motivational speech can be described as an inspiring and convincing message for the audience. Generally, these speeches urge the listeners to improve their lifestyles. They can do so by acting on the message or implementing the advice given in the speech in their own lives.
Students should learn how to write and deliver motivational speeches in order to learn how to inspire and guide people. It will help them inspire their team in case they get a manager’s position someday.
How to Structure a Speech?
Apart from a catchy motivational speech title, the structure of the speech is the second most important thing. There are a number of ways of structuring a speech. Below are some general tips that students should follow when writing a motivational speech:
- Introduce yourself (it is optional in different scenarios).
- Make a great opening statement with the help of a rhetorical question, surprising statement, or famous quote.
- Structure your speech properly with a brief introduction, a detailed, main body, as well as a comprehensive conclusion.
- Start each paragraph with a topic sentence.
- Use excellent English – more of the ornamental nature.
- Do not refrain from expressing your opinion.
- Use 1st person narrative to engage your audience.
- Include personal details, experiences, as well as anecdotes.
- Use emotive language for appealing to the audience’s emotions.
- Use figurative language, like similes, metaphors, and imagery.
The Best Motivational Speech Topics for Students
Below we have shared an extensive list of topics for motivational speeches according to different fields. Students can take help from this list if they have to write a speech for a competition. However, the list serves as a general inspiration for college students as well as youth in general.
Business and Management Topics
- Persistence is the key: How to start your own business
- Successful startup ventures and their key features
- The art of gloriously recovering from failure in startups
- Emerging businesses and the importance of teamwork
- Self-improvement through customer feedback
- Startups in the post-covid era
- The world is on its way to adopt and integrate cryptocurrencies
- Are skills more important than education in today’s rapidly evolving job market?
- Be the change you want and address global warming
- Corporate responsibility is a valuable tool in humanizing the face of businesses
- How a multicultural environment shapes a student
- The privilege of benefiting from a high-quality education
- Should college/university education be free for all?
- How school curriculum can serve as a unifying force to the students
- Underestimated competence of being able to quickly and efficiently find very specific information on the Internet
- Virtual classrooms are the future of education
- Schools without homework: What are the benefits?
- What ensures professional success after mandatory school education?
- Success stories of most educated people of the world
- Schools are a major contributor in developing team players
- AI as well as machine learning reshaping the future
- How to encourage environmental friendly lifestyles in cities through technology
- Change your lifestyle, change your city
- A rapid transition to solar energy will address many health concerns related to air pollution
- Solar energy is becoming cheaper than thermoelectric energy
- Can nuclear fusion devices deliver virtually unlimited energy?
- Diets helping reduce environmental impact and animal suffering
- Benefits of Tesla’s electric container barges on maritime transport and the environment
- Minimize environmental impact by transforming our shopping habits
- Transitioning to Tesla cars: Is it as fast as transitioning from horses to cars?
Effective Motivational Speech Topics
- Humans – creatures on two legs and ungrateful – F. Dostoevsky
- Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has – Margaret Mead
- There is no secret of life. Life’s aim, if it has one, is simply to be always looking for temptations – Oscar Wilde
- You can speak well if your tongue can deliver the message of your heart – John Ford
- Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it – Lou Holtz
- He who wants to persuade should put his trust not in the right argument, but in the right word. The power of sound has always been greater than the power of sense – Joseph Conrad
- If there must be trouble let it be in my day that my child may have peace – Tom Paine
- It’s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation – Rob Gilbert
- Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education – Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it – Mahatma Gandhi
In a Nutshell
Students have to deal with multiple deadlines and project submissions during their academics. While they may want to keep up with everything, sometimes it can be overwhelming. In such cases, they will take any help that they can get. For instance, a list of topics for their speech from which they can choose the one that resonates the best with them. So, if you want the best motivational speech topics for your college speech, the list above has some excellent topics that you can choose from.